Please

tell me about broken links

and other errors

joannahigginbotham@runbox.com

1950 (1) King of Canons



THE GREAT CANON, CALLED ALSO
THE KING OF CANONS.

(Translated from the Greek by The Rev. J. M. Neale, D. D.
Hymns of the Eastern Church, London.)





   Whence shall my tears begin?

   What first-fruits shall I bear

   Of earnest sorrow for my sin?

   Or how my woes declare?

   O Thou! the Merciful and Gracious One!

   Forgive the foul transgressions I have done.


   With Adam I have vied,

   Yea, pass'd him, in my fall;

   And I am naked now, by pride

   And lust made bare of all;

   Of Thee, O GOD, and that Celestial Band,

   And all the glory of the Promised Land.


   No earthly Eve beguil'd

   My body into sin:

   A spiritual temptress smil'd,

   Concupiscence within:

   Unbridled Passion grasp'd the unhallow'd sweet:

   Most bitter--ever bitter--was the meat.


   If Adam's righteous doom,

   Because he dared transgress

   Thy one decree, lost Eden's bloom

   And Eden's loveliness:

   What recompense, O Lord, must I expect,

   Who all my life Thy quick'ning laws neglect?


   By mine own act, like Cain,

   A murd'rer was I made:

   By mine own act my soul was slain,

   When Thou wast disobey'd:

   And lusts each day are quicken'd, warring still

   Against Thy grace with many a deed of ill.


   Thou formedst me of clay,

   O Heav'nly Potter! Thou

   In fleshly vesture didst array,

   With life and breath endow.

   Thou Who didst make, didst ransom, and dost know

   To Thy repentant creature pity show!


   My guilt for vengeance cries;

   But yet Thou pard'nest all,

   And whom Thou lov's Thou dost chastise,

   And mourn'st for them that fall:

   Thou, as a Father, mark'st our tears and pain,

   And welcomest the prodigal again.


   I lie before Thy door,

   O turn me not away!

   Nor in mine old age give me o'er

   To Satan for a prey!

   But ere the end of life and term of grace,

   Thou Merciful! my many sins efface!


   The Priest beheld, and pass'd

   The way he had to go:

   A careless glance the Levite cast,

   And left me to my woe:

   But Thou, O JESU, Mary's Son, console,

   Draw nigh, and succour me, and make me whole!


   Thou Spotless Lamb Divine,

   Who takest sins away,

   Remove, remove, the load that mine

   Upon my conscience lay:

   And, of Thy tender mercy, grant Thou me

   To find remission of iniquity!



_____________ * * * _____________

No comments: